Some of the books in the Library’s collections were owned by other libraries, or by individuals, before they came to us. One way of learning about a book’s history is to identify the former owner’s plate or label, usually glued to the inside front cover or front flyleaf. Here’s a selection of bookplates found at Brunel:
Brunel University Library bookplate. This features the swan image from the old University crest, which represents the University’s location in Uxbridge, and the cogwheel represents technology.
Shoreditch College was founded in 1902 and became a teacher training college specialising in craft, design and technology. In 1980 it merged with Brunel University, and some of the books from its library were transferred to the University Library. For more about Shoreditch College, see the Discovery Trail and the College’s archives held by the University.
Some books belonging to colleges which were merged with the University came from yet another library beforehand. This book’s plate shows it once belonged to Oldham Public Libraries. It came to Brunel University Library via Borough Road college, which was established in Southwark in 1817 but moved to Osterley in 1889, eventually becoming part of the West London Institute and so joining Brunel University in 1997. Another book came from Stoke Newington Public Library.
Some of the books bequeathed to the Library by Charles Clinker, and now forming part of the Transport History Collection were previously owned by Anthony Murray, whose bookplate featuring a steam engine is one of our favourites.